Chosen work gave freedom a purpose. Divorce changed the family around it.
“I recently hit 21 years of retirement.”
Life at the time
- Gave a community talk.
How it felt
- Comfortable with retirement. “I recently hit 21 years of retirement.”
Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
“I recently hit 21 years of retirement.”
“I'm usually so busy doing my own stuff I don't know where I would fit a regular job in anyway.”
“After 5 years of planning how to pop around the world every month and creating perfectly interlocking travel plans, I burned myself out.”
“I think I am this consistently happy because my overall happiness is based on contentment, not dopamine hits.”
“Third, I feel safe and content.”
“So this is the first year I can remember in my adult life where I didn’t have some long-term goal driving me on, and it’s quite uncomfortable, if I’m honest.”
“But that someday finally arrived, and I honestly didn’t know life could be this good.”
“Unlike many affluent retirees, I am not afraid to spend money to bring joy as my wife and I enter the “7th Chapter.””
“I have not come close to being bored.”
“How have I now been retired longer than I held my longest job?”