Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
Tried successive projects, including software, outdoor goals and a memoir.
A software effort brought back long hours at a desk.
How it felt
Found some skills rusty when he returned to software work. “I was out of practice.”
Saw mistakes and completed projects as part of an ongoing search for worthwhile effort. “My answers were not always optimal, but they were educational.”
Married, pursued new ventures and continued traveling.
Began wanting a steadier home base as constant movement grew less appealing.
How it felt
Remained enthusiastic about the freedom and fulfillment of retirement. “the freedom and fulfillment are at an all-time high.”
Recognized that being under the same roof did not guarantee meaningful time together. “Spending time living under the same roof with someone doesn’t guarantee that time is quality time.”
Expected travel to occupy about a quarter of 2026, leaving more time near family.
How it felt
Recognized burnout after years of arranging the next move. “I burned myself out.”
Planning trips had changed from a pleasure into an obligation; some trips made home seem more appealing. “travel planning went from something I would wake up early excited to do, to something I was obligated to do”
“I was scared at the beginning of the breakup that I was going to lose both a romantic partner and a friend - which does unfortunately happen far too often with couples after a breakup.”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.