Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
The retired former project-management consultant worked on his property and formed new friendships.
How it felt
He reported greater contentment as he managed expectations and appreciated friendships without demanding a particular intensity. “I’m more content, and more importantly, so is my wife.”
“With the ability to do slower travel and therefore less pressure to squeeze everything in, I've found that FIRE has given me a a stronger sense of calm/relaxation from the normal frantic life and resulted in a lot less stress.”
After retiring from pharmaceuticals at 54, he kept limited consulting and made time for exercise, friends, volunteering and travel.
How it felt
He enjoyed retirement, but had to adjust to fading work contacts and a slower pace with his wife. “I learned how to downshift my 100 mph activity level.”
Five years into retirement, he took part in golf, bridge, Toastmasters, walking, swimming and travel.
How it felt
He found the adjustment easy after considering how he wanted to spend his time, and enjoyed retirement more than expected. “I knew I would enjoy it, but not to this extent.”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.