Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
“I don't like having 'the phone call' hanging over my head and inevitably I have plans already when they ask because I'm not thinking "I need to keep Friday open in case they get busy".”
“Travel, btw, is an expensive way to work through boredom, so I’ve had to be a little more strategic with the way I’ve been spending that non-essential bucket.”
After retiring twice, she moved from the United States to Lisbon and worked on building community while maintaining ties back home.
How it felt
She loved being out of work and recognized that habitual underspending could limit what she enjoyed. “I don’t want to have the biggest bank balance in the cemetery!”
Sold her car, moved to Japan and started a year of language school.
Set out to spend more freely on food and experiences.
How it felt
Saw school as an answer to missing social contact and intellectual challenge; the longer-term result was still open. “Moving to Japan and studying Japanese is my solution to both of them.”
Was deliberately practicing enjoyment of her money. “I'm trying to flex my spending muscle”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.