Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
He retired from construction leadership in 2022, creating time to explore investing and prioritize family, travel and church involvement.
How it felt
Despite loving his career, family health events made the opportunity to enjoy life together feel more urgent. “it has been fantastic to have the time to dive deeper into this.”
“I was partiailly inspired by u/MrLlamaSC with this post and decided the following: Instead of finding reasons to say no, I would look for reasons to say yes”
Spent 243 nights away in 2022, including new travel and social experiences.
Tried skiing and Burning Man, while a cruise and a difficult companion revealed firm dislikes.
How it felt
Wanted to test experiences he would previously have rejected. “Say Yes to (Almost) Anything”
Was looking for reasons to participate, without assuming every experiment would be worth repeating. “Instead of finding reasons to say no, I would look for reasons to say yes”
Both physicians continued practicing after reporting financial independence. The interviewee also pursued real-estate projects, cooking and a car hobby.
How it felt
He preferred staying occupied and did not see abundant free time as a goal. “I love to cook.”
“Fortunately, we have excellent retiree medical benefits but the emotional toll that a potentially life-altering event will take is something we think about.”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.