Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
Sold her car, moved to Japan and started a year of language school.
Set out to spend more freely on food and experiences.
How it felt
Saw school as an answer to missing social contact and intellectual challenge; the longer-term result was still open. “Moving to Japan and studying Japanese is my solution to both of them.”
Was deliberately practicing enjoyment of her money. “I'm trying to flex my spending muscle”
Five years after his executive career, he maintained properties, learned mechanical skills, pursued music and sometimes used his expertise for paid projects.
How it felt
He valued control over his commitments and enjoyed being useful on his own terms. “It feels good to be wanted in this way”
“However, as much as I still love my old hobbies, I have found increased meaning and purpose in new activities in which I am relatively new and inexperienced.”
Following careers in the military, industry and teaching, he fully retired and learned another language with his wife.
How it felt
He enjoyed control of his time and immersion in language learning, while keeping the possibility of adult teaching open. “I also still feel compelled to teach”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.