Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
“The momentum of a 20+ year career and intense work ethic just drew me to "do something". 9 months in, I'm finally beginning to not feel the monetary tug.”
Reduced cyber-industry work left room for creative interests, personal-finance teaching and an extended working stay in Yellowstone.
How it felt
He enjoyed the freedom but noticed that brief office check-ins had spread across more days than before the pandemic. “I’ve been able to devote much more time to creative pursuits”
“One anxiety that grows is feeling less and less capable of returning to the workforce, which though I shouldn't need to do, does feel like a door closing on ambition and prestige.”
“I thought I would miss the title, the company recognition or the associated prestige and related self-worth but I have found a great appreciation in just being me.”
Following an earlier-than-expected corporate exit, he tried more biking, hiking, golf, pickleball and gym time.
How it felt
He was surprised by how little he missed the prestige of his former role and appreciated life without that title. “I am surprised how little I miss it”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.