Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
“I felt the old property manager was falling into some terrible habits that was leading the business into the "slumlord" territory and even though I tried to get them to change it just wasn't happening.”
“I thought I would miss the title, the company recognition or the associated prestige and related self-worth but I have found a great appreciation in just being me.”
Following an earlier-than-expected corporate exit, he tried more biking, hiking, golf, pickleball and gym time.
How it felt
He was surprised by how little he missed the prestige of his former role and appreciated life without that title. “I am surprised how little I miss it”
Financial security enabled him to leave public administration under political pressure and return to neglected interests.
How it felt
The abrupt transition was difficult despite gratitude for new freedom and a supportive spouse; future employment remained undecided. “I may return to work, or I may not.”
He retired from construction leadership in 2022, creating time to explore investing and prioritize family, travel and church involvement.
How it felt
Despite loving his career, family health events made the opportunity to enjoy life together feel more urgent. “it has been fantastic to have the time to dive deeper into this.”
“I was partiailly inspired by u/MrLlamaSC with this post and decided the following: Instead of finding reasons to say no, I would look for reasons to say yes”
Spent 243 nights away in 2022, including new travel and social experiences.
Tried skiing and Burning Man, while a cruise and a difficult companion revealed firm dislikes.
How it felt
Wanted to test experiences he would previously have rejected. “Say Yes to (Almost) Anything”
Was looking for reasons to participate, without assuming every experiment would be worth repeating. “Instead of finding reasons to say no, I would look for reasons to say yes”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.