Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
Five years after his executive career, he maintained properties, learned mechanical skills, pursued music and sometimes used his expertise for paid projects.
How it felt
He valued control over his commitments and enjoyed being useful on his own terms. “It feels good to be wanted in this way”
Financial security enabled him to leave public administration under political pressure and return to neglected interests.
How it felt
The abrupt transition was difficult despite gratitude for new freedom and a supportive spouse; future employment remained undecided. “I may return to work, or I may not.”
Following careers in the military, industry and teaching, he fully retired and learned another language with his wife.
How it felt
He enjoyed control of his time and immersion in language learning, while keeping the possibility of adult teaching open. “I also still feel compelled to teach”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.