Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
“The first six months (when I wasn’t working), I do have fond memories but my wife said I had anxiety related to career and work (lack thereof) … and she does tend to notice these deep anxieties that I cover up.”
Five years after his executive career, he maintained properties, learned mechanical skills, pursued music and sometimes used his expertise for paid projects.
How it felt
He valued control over his commitments and enjoyed being useful on his own terms. “It feels good to be wanted in this way”
Following careers in the military, industry and teaching, he fully retired and learned another language with his wife.
How it felt
He enjoyed control of his time and immersion in language learning, while keeping the possibility of adult teaching open. “I also still feel compelled to teach”
After retiring from his main role, the physician chose temporary assignments and mentoring, volunteered for an outdoor organization and traveled with his wife.
How it felt
He described a changed relationship with work when earning became optional. “The need to work has abated”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.