Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
“Yesterday, I received confirmation of pancreatic cancer which had been suspected for a couple of weeks. I am 48 years old and have not been FIRE'd for even 2 full years yet.”
“I don't like having 'the phone call' hanging over my head and inevitably I have plans already when they ask because I'm not thinking "I need to keep Friday open in case they get busy".”
“The past couple of years have been full of kid-related activities, and it’s been absolutely great to not have to be worried about conflicts between work and family plans.”
After leaving salaried work, the couple's days filled with their children's activities and physical activity.
How it felt
They valued freedom from scheduling conflicts, while keeping travel and a possible future work or volunteer role open. “not have to be worried about conflicts between work and family plans.”
“So although we could have saved more and could have done better growing our nest egg, all that hard work and chaos ultimately got me this freedom, which is priceless.”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.