Explore turning points, everyday joys and unexpected challenges after financial independence or retirement, with the date and original source for each account.
After military retirement, he maintained their rural property while she studied law, clerked and joined a private law firm.
How it felt
She needed intellectual challenge while he was content with physical activity; shared travel and family visits connected their different routines. “we have all the individual and team activities we need.”
He recalled spending his first retirement visiting friends, road-tripping, cycling, hiking and studying sustainable living before trying consulting tied to a software project.
How it felt
Neither business direction worked out as hoped; in the later interview he described a reasonably balanced life. “Right now, it’s reasonably balanced for me.”
After leaving project management, he worked about ten hours weekly at a golf course while his wife changed jobs following their move.
How it felt
He described both partners as more relaxed, while losses among friends and family tempered the new stage. “The worst part is losing friends and family to death”
“I don't like having 'the phone call' hanging over my head and inevitably I have plans already when they ask because I'm not thinking "I need to keep Friday open in case they get busy".”
“I have found I do like the firefighting work of being able to solve problems and make a difference and I like the industry I work in so don't see myself giving up on it entirely at this point.”
After leaving state employment, he worked a self-directed week and helped manage family finances while the couple supported elderly parents.
How it felt
He valued being able to decline projects and regarded retirement as an ongoing search for a useful balance. “I can say no to projects I don’t want to do”
With your permission, we use Google Analytics cookies to measure visits and popular pages. You can decline and keep exploring, or change your choice any time.